[82-90 North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia. National Trust of South Australia Joyce Photographic Collection ID: 286 – See more at: http://www.adelaideheritage.net.au/all-site-profiles/holy-trinity-church/#prettyPhoto%5B1%5D/3/%5D
James married Mary Ann Spencer on 18 December 1849. They married at the Holy Trinity Church on North Terrace Adelaide. Mary Anne was born in Hampshire, England in 1829 to Joseph Spencer and Elizabeth Shepard.
As the Holy Trinity church is a church a significance in Adelaide, the following from Wikipedia contains the historical information about the church:
“Holy Trinity Anglican Church is historically significant in that it contains elements of the earliest surviving Anglican church building in South Australia. (Of special note is the William IV window that was brought to Adelaide in 1836.)
Holy Trinity Church was built in three main stages. It was originally planned that the church would be a prefabricated building imported from England; however, when the prefabricated building arrived from England badly damaged, it was decided instead to build a stone church. Governor Hindmarsh laid the foundation stone on 28 January 1838 and the church opened in about August that year, within two years of the settlement of Adelaide (see History of Adelaide). The building quickly became a landmark with its ‘peaked cap’ top tower and the Vulliamy clock. (Benjamin Lewis Vulliamy 1780 – 1854, was the clockmaker to King William IV and Queen Adelaide.)
In 1844 the church was closed for repairs and the clock was removed for safekeeping. The body of the church was rebuilt and re-roofed and the tower lost its peaked cap. It reopened in August 1845. When Bishop Short arrived in 1847, Holy Trinity assumed many of the functions of a cathedral, and was – until other congregations (especially Christ Church, North Adelaide) were established – the place of worship for the Governors, many of the colony’s prominent families and the military.
In 1878, there was a proposal to rebuild when some money was subscribed, but this did not take place until the congregation decided in the mid-1880s to completely rebuild the church to a design by the prominent architect Edward John Woods, using the mellow sandstone which eventually weathered to match the original limestone. It was around this time that the present name of “Holy Trinity” became current.
The hall and the rectory are also significant features in the precinct. The hall was built in 1887 using a donation from a parishioner. The original rectory was a prefabricated ‘Manning’ building which arrived in better condition than the church. It was replaced by the present building in 1851, and was the home of seven successive incumbents. It is now used as offices.” [copied from Wikipedia on 05/04/14]
[A very early landmark was Holy Trinity Church on North Terrace. Here it is in 1839, in a painting by Martha S. Berkeley. Note that some of the nearby cottages have roofs thatched with reeds or straw.]