On 9th July 1792 Edward Henecar married Ann Russel at Little Chart, Kent, England. Source:Married in church, by Banns – Marriage Register photocopy (Little Chart Parish). The Mid-Kent Marriages Index 1754-1911 from the Woodchurch Ancestry Group provide the following information which shows that Edward’s name was spelt HENECAR. This is probably a misspelling, as people often could not read or write therefore the person recording the information spelt the name as it sounded to them. Earlier records relating to Kent, mention the Heneker name on numerous occasions. Heneker was a well known name in the county, and included nobility by that name. It is often spelt either Henniker, Hennicker and Heneker.
|1782||09 July||HENECAR Edward||Ann Russell||Little Chart||West Ashford|
Note the spelling on the Marriage record where the surname of Ann looks like Rufel, however it is actually an ‘f’ and and ‘s’ which is how ‘s’ was written and ‘ss’ was written as ‘fs’ it was used for words with the sound of a long ‘s’ e.g mageftic (for majestic) which sounds like a long ‘s’ or mefs (mess) which also has the sound of a long ‘s’. This way of writing died out well before the 19th century. Hence Rufel or Rufsel is actually Russel.
The Church where Edward and Ann married was originally built in the 11th century by the Normans and expanded over time. In 1944 it was bombed by a “doodlebug” which had been intended to hit somewhere in London. Only parts of the tower were left and the chancel wall. It has since been rebuilt. In 1792 when Edward and Ann married it would have been a beautiful church with the wild woods next to it.